On Friday, the FIBA Europe confirmed that Lyon ASVEL women’s team will be competing next season in the women’s EuroLeague. The French champions will for the first time in their history take part in the prestigious competition alongside the top clubs in Europe.
A total of 13 clubs have qualified directly for the 2019 – 2020 Women’s EuroLeague season:
- UMMC Ekaterinburg(Iekaterinburg, Russia)
- Fenerbahce (Istanbul, Turkey)
- Lyon ASVEL Women
- Sopron Basket (Sopron, Hungary)
- ZVVZ USK Praha (Prague, Czech Republic)
- Familia Basket Schio (Schio, Italy)
- Spar Citylift Girona (Girona, Spain)
- TTT Riga (Riga, Latvia)
- Mithra Castors Braine (Braine, Belgium)
- Dynamo Kursk (Koursk, Russia)
- Cukurova Basketbol (Mersin, Turkey)
- Tango Bourges Basket (Bourges, France)
- BC Nadezhda (Orenburg, Russia)
6 clubs will comepete in the qualifiers:
- Botas SK (Ankara, Turkey)
- BLMA (Lattes Montpellier, France)
- Aluinvent DVTK Miskolc (Miskolc, Hungary)
- Arka Gdynia (Gdynia, Poland)
- Umana Reyer Venezia (Venice, Italy)
- Olympiacos SPF (Athens, Greece)
The three clubs that win their duels in the qualifiers will compete next season in the Women’s EuroLeague.
The other three teams will join the Women’s EuroCup in which the French clubs, Charleville-Mézières, Roche Vendée and Basket Landes will be competing.